Barcelona here we come, 8 days…….

Posted on May 25, 2013 by sonjabarrie

Barcelona here we come, 8 days…….

Well so much for my posting every day. That went out the window when the pain upped.  Hard to do anything except just what's necessary to get through the day.  Work comes first, if we don't keep working on our business we don't make any money and I have this horrible habit of wanting to eat regularly, all these bad habits can really control you sometimes 😉

On a good note Dr Poku sent my cardiac report which appears to be OK and I've sent it on to Dr Clavel in Spain, waiting to see if he OK's it too. I still have to print out things like my medication schedule and times. I, apparently, will have an interpreter during the first couple of days but even then things can get lost in translation and my heart and eye meds must be taken every day no matter what.

I took, and I had Tim take, photos of me in my swimsuit in order to actually be able to see the real amount of swelling after the op.  I am taking just bohemian type dresses, the kind that fit over the bust then flow freely to the ground.  I call them the Angelina Jolie dresses as seeing pictures of her in them was the first time I had seen them since the 70's.

Even if I was 9 months pregnant I would be able to fit into them, they should also be cool in the Spanish heat and my brace will fit over the top easily. I'm sure Tim will take pics of me in them with my brace.

Most of you who know me know that I burn soooooo easily, I can blister even in the shade. So apart from my 50 SPF hat, I bought a 90+ SPF (supposedly) umbrella so I can walk safely down the street at least 4 or 5 times a day once I am out of the hospital as walking is crucial to my recovery. It's silver colored and says 90 SPF SUN BLOCKER on the top so hopefully most folks won't think me too crazy walking along with an umbrella in the middle of summer.  Not that I can say I care about what others think. 

Once in Spain on business I was talking on the phone while walking down the street.  One guy looked at me and twirled his finger around his temple while shaking his head at me. There was no doubt he thought I was crazy.  It took me a while but I realized, my phone was in my purse, and my Bluetooth was hidden under my, then, long hair. No wonder he thought I was crazy walking along talking to myself or my imaginary friend!

I still laugh when I think about it.

So the plan for this weekend is to get fully packed. The only last minute things will be my toothbrush and my computer stuff.  There's nothing going into my suitcases that I will need or use till we get to Spain which means I can pack early and not be exhausted or in too much pain when the shuttle bus arrives on Sunday.

My good friend Gilly and her husband Terry are coming to Barcelona to visit with me the last week of our trip which will be fun. I was so hoping I could convince my daughter Claire to bring Amye down for a visit. She's 2 years old and I have yet to see her in person. I was very upset and disappointed she won't be able to bring her but I'm not surprised, it's hard with a 2 year old and she has Leo whose 4 who she would have to find a babysitter for, and to top it all off she also works.  It's a bummer that I am not well enough to go there before the op and I certainly won't be after!

Amye will probably be getting married before I actually get to see her live.  I do get to talk to her on Skype though and she actually has a bit of a fit apparently when she hasn't talked to me for a few days.  She looks so much like the cutest doll out there but then I don't have to feed, bath, potty train or discipline her.  That always changes things LOL

Leo too is growing so fast.  He was only 2 the last time I saw him in the flesh.  It's when your grandkids live half way around the globe that you realize that while sometimes it may seem like a small world in reality it isn't! Even getting across the US to Michigan to see my other grandkids is a herculean effort sometimes.

Chalked off another day on the calendar this morning. Only 8 days till we fly out. A week this Sunday. No matter how you say it, it's coming up fast.  Trying to keep busy and not think about it.

I remember too well coming out of recovery, throat sore, chest sore once, nauseous, and then later in the day the pain kicks in. At least this time I will still be in the hospital so they can do something about it, the last 2 times I was in recovery for about 2 hours and then it was here's your hat what's your hurry along with sayonara and thanks for all the fish (for all you Douglas Adams fans out there ;-).

When I had my hysterectomy waaaay back in 1977 they had more sense then and I spent 10 days in there till I was able to look after myself again.  You know, actually be able to get on and off the toilet, be able to take a shower without fainting, the sort of stuff they ignore now in the name of saving the insurance companies money. 

In Europe it's pretty much the same as it was back in the 70’s, you are not allowed, by law in some countries, to be released from the hospital until you are able to sort yourself out.  I love Tim dearly but he is no nurse or doctor!

Well it's taken me three attempts to get this finished and I as usual I need to lie down again. Not long now till I'm a bionic woman!

Found this picture and thought it looked cool, it’s the cathedral in the Gotic area, the oldest area of Barcelona. Can’t wait to walk around this area after my op.


Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Santa Eulalia: Barcelona Cathedral

Leave a Reply

©2014-2017 My Weird And Wacky Life. All rights reserved.