Successful Surgery

Posted on November 05, 2009 by sonjabarrie

Monday, October 26th and we had to get up waaaay to early!! I was due at the hospital at 7:30am so had to be up at 6am to shower and it takes about 45 minutes to get to the hospital and we wanted an additional 15 minutes for rush hour traffic. Yes, it’s one of the joys of living in Utah, you add 15 minutes not 2 hours to your commute!

It was kinda like going to the airport. You hurry up and get there only to have to wait, and we waited till 9am, albeit with nurses in and out taking blood pressure and re-asking all the same questions they asked when I went there to pre register and have blood taken on Friday.

They finally came and wheeled me into a waiting area before going into OR where I spoke to more nurses and the anesthetist who assured me that this time they would give me stuff so I wouldn’t be so sick.  My last surgery (exactly 2 years ago October) I threw up for almost 24 hours after, not good when you just had back surgery.

Anyway to cut to the chase, everything went well, this time instead of pulling out a single piece (last time they pulled out a piece over an inch long from the spinal canal) they had to scrabble around and get it all out in pieces.  Because I hurt my back 3 months prior I think I must have broken off a piece of the disk then but instead of sending me for an MRI my very conservative Orthopedic Doc just sent me for Physical Therapy, did 16 sessions of that and while it did get a bit better it never was “right”. Still the surgeon thinks he got out all the bits and anything small should get re-absorbed, only time will tell.

Definitely have a bigger scar this time, probably because they had to dig around and I had stitches this time, not just tape. Only real problem is the scar is right on top of the back bone so it hurts to lay on my back as the bone is pressing on the incision but that’s how I have to lay at least for the first 2 weeks. No sitting for more than 20 minutes for the first month after surgery (and then I have to be careful not too sit too long at a time) and no lifting anything heavier than 10lbs.

My left leg is still not right, I have numb areas on it, it’s very weak and I have to be careful when walking as it can give out on me at any time.  I use a walking stick when I’m out but don’t need it around the house any more. I had the same sort of problems with my right leg the last time and I know it will be an uphill struggle to get it right but those of you who really know me know I don’t let anything get in my way!  I’ll be skiing before the end of season if I have anything to say about it!

One Response to “Successful Surgery”

  1. Rosemary Zaharias

    - 18th Nov, 09 04:11am

    Hi, Hope and pray you are doing well. If you need anything!!!call us. Have a great day. Rosemary

    Reply to this comment

Leave a Reply

©2014-2018 My Weird And Wacky Life. All rights reserved.